Back to previous

Can I Claim For Relatives Who Have Been Affected By My Accident?

Dear Brian

I was very independent until I had a road accident last year.  Since then, I have needed a lot of help from my husband and mother with tasks around the house like cleaning and ironing.  They also take me to appointments and run errands as well as go shopping, all tasks which I could have done myself before the accident.  I feel bad that they are giving of their time voluntarily and would it be possible for me to claim for them in my accident claim?  Do they have to claim separately if they can claim at all?



Dear June

The good news is that you can claim for the care and assistance you receive from family or friends.  Obviously, you have to prove the existence of a need for services, but once you do the Court will provide reasonable recompense to you for the carer or carers.  This is defined as the reasonable value of gratuitous services rendered to you by way of voluntary care by a member of your family.  Obviously, you can still seek outside professional help and that will be paid for, but most Claimants find their finances are so stretched by their inability to work and function normally that they cannot afford professional care.  They have to rely on family.  The Court of Appeal has emphasised that compensation will only be given for services/care “beyond the call of duty”.  If a partner or spouse was already doing the shopping then you cannot claim for them doing the same amount of shopping after the accident.  If, however, they are providing care “distinctly beyond that which is part of the ordinary regime of family life” they will be compensated.

There is, however, one sting in the tail.  There are sometimes situations where the person who caused the accident is the family member of the victim.   This would be in a case where, for example, the daughter was a front seat passenger who was injured because her mother drove the car negligently, causing a collision.  In those circumstances, the mother will no doubt care for her daughter after the accident, but she cannot receive compensation for doing so because she caused the accident in the first place.

Brian Barr

We do not endorse any research, studies or sources mentioned within our blogs and comments. Furthermore, we do not endorse any medical advice provided, and would strongly recommend anyone seeking medical advice to contact their local healthcare provider.

To start your claim

Get in touch

Request A Callback

To hear what our clients say about us

Visit our testimonials

Read more

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Fibromyalgia Diet: The Best Foods to Help Your Symptoms

It is widely accepted that the foods you eat play a vital role in your health. Similarly, choosing the right diet as a fibromyalgia sufferer can play a huge role in alleviating your symptoms and preve...

Read More >

Who Treats Fibromyalgia?

Fibromyalgia is often puzzling for some medical professionals who are not familiar with it. So, who do sufferers turn to for a treatment?  As an ‘invisible illness’, Fibromyalgia is diff...

Read More >

Related Posts

Call Now Button