Has Your Simple Injury Become Chronic?


Most people get back to normal after pain following an accident. However sometimes the pain carries on for longer, and can unfortunately be life changing. Chronic or persistent pain is pain that carries on for longer than 12 weeks despite medication or treatment.

When it comes to accidents and pain there is no crystal ball. It isn’t possible to tell in advance whose pain will become chronic, and what pain might lead to fibromyalgia, chronic pain or CRPS.

Chronic pain is a major medical problem. A recent study found that 38% of the UK population now experience chronic, noticeable pain every single day, commonly symptomized by frequent headaches, nerve damage pain, low back pain, arthritis pain, and fibromyalgia pain.

Acute pain, although also unpleasant, tends to be a sensation transmitted by the nervous system to alert you to a real or impending injury, such as a bruise, cut, or burn, and is a warning that something is wrong with your body.

What may have started as whiplash following a minor car accident can turn out to be something more serious. Acute pain can become chronic, often because the physiological condition is ongoing and unresolved. One of the most common triggers of chronic pain disorder is an injury, such as one caused by a road accident or fall, where the pain lingers after the initial physical damage has healed. It can be difficult to identify signs that acute pain is likely to become chronic, as in some circumstances, the symptoms of chronic pain syndrome do not arise until a long time after the injury has occurred. This of course can prove frustrating for both the patient and medical professionals alike, and especially if you are making a chronic pain compensation claim for your accident.


Chronic pain compensation claims

If you are looking to claim compensation for chronic pain, you will need to be able to prove that an accident or injury caused by another’s negligence was to blame for your chronic pain symptoms.

The value of your chronic pain compensation pay-out will of course depend on the severity of your symptoms and the long-term effects it has had on your working capabilities and need for care, therefore it is important to differentiate between acute pain and what may become chronic pain.

If you do suffer from chronic pain then you may be entitled to a large sum of compensation to help you in both the short and long term. For example, a young person in a high-paying job who will never be able to return to work will receive a high award of damages for the significant long-term impact on their life.

Brian Barr Solicitors are a specialist firm of solicitors who deal uniquely with chronic pain litigation and therefore not only do we understand fibromyalgia, CRPS and chronic pain generally, we have access to the leading experts whose understanding of chronic pain and serious injury is second to none, resulting in securing our clients with the compensation they deserve.

If your acute pain has turned into chronic pain and you feel that you may be due compensation then please get in touch. Brian Barr Solicitors are happy to review your case free of charge. Transferring your claim to a chronic pain specialist solicitor is easy to do – it is simple as signing a form. However it is hard to undo damage already caused in your claim, therefore the sooner you transfer your claim the better.



If you are suffering from fibromyalgia, CRPS or any chronic pain condition as a result of an injury or accident that was not your fault, and even if you have an existing claim, get in touch with Brian Barr Solicitors to see if we can assist. It is simple and hassle free to move your claim to Brian Barr solicitors who are experts in dealing with chronic pain litigation. Call us today on 0161 737 9248 or visit our website (www.brianbarr.co.uk) to find out more.

We do not endorse any research, studies or sources mentioned within our blogs and comments. The blog is for information purposes only as we are not medical professionals. We do not endorse any medical advice provided, and would strongly recommend anyone seeking medical advice to contact their local healthcare provider before any changes to treatment and/or management of your condition is undertaken.


Find out if you have a claim

Latest Articles

Why do I need to see so many doctors as part of my legal claim?


Can I sue a medical professional for clinical negligence?


How we won £900,000 for CRPS caused by an accident at work


Brian Barr take on specialist chronic pain case and secure 6 figure settlement for Commander involved in an accident at sea

What triggers fibromyalgia?

How much compensation can you get for fibromyalgia?

How do you prove clinical negligence?


Why it is important to speak to specialist solicitors – Brian Barr take on appeal and overturn judgement of fundamental dishonesty


Brian Barr stands shoulder to shoulder with its client in defending and defeating a positive case of fundamental dishonesty brought against him

CRPS and anxiety

Who treats CRPS

Does the weather affect chronic pain?